Thursday 14 February 2008

A bit late, but Happy Chinese New Year folks.

CNY this time wasn't that bad. I took leave on CNY eve (Wednesday), and also the following Monday and Tuesday. I've kinda forgotten how relaxing it has been to just chill for a long period of time, guess I've been racking up too much overtime in the weekends. And the usual CNY delicacies of course - like pineapple tarts (from Malacca), long yuk (dried pork), and love letters. And my dad even took us out on sushi. Yay!

Was thinking this time CNY would be quite boring and lonely, but didn't turn out so bad. On the third day, went out with a friend who was visiting her aunt. Ended up with choc-fuls of well, chocolates. Apparently her aunt had came back from UK laden with lots of chocolate. Got to sample lots of delicious chocolate - including large chocolate coins, chocolate with rum and lots more. And here I thought Ferrero Rocher only comes in one flavour - the dark chocolate with slight mint was excellent.

The next day, went to another friend's place again, and bumped into an old friend who was seeing one of my friends there. Damn, it has been what, 4 years since I've seen him? I seriously hate being reminded how old I am, and still amazed at how much time has passed since I stepped out of form 5.

Anyway I watched them played mahjong for a while, me never learning how to play myself. Watched them for a few rounds, and the rules and even the aims of the game still escapes me though I can sorta get what they're trying to to to win. After that we played gin rummy (I think that's how it's spelled) which I've never played before but watched my dad did a long time ago.

With all four of us of the same age, it was 4 rats squaring off. Which one of us would emerge as the top rat? Turns out I was the under-rat of it, as I lost more than 10 bucks after a couple of rounds. While my friend managed to loot more than 10 bucks (with me as the major contributor), plus an additional 10 bucks from the previous mahjong rounds. Sigh.. Maybe a red Mickey Mouse underwear would have done the trick to up my lucky star.

Anyhow, me back to work already right now, and am greeted with the sudden news that one of my colleague is leaving by the end of the week. Yikes! Now the lab's gonna be even more desolate. Not to mention she was the most senior one around, so we usually ask her stuff and its whereabouts and how-tos. Guess I'll have to take up bit more work from now on.

Here's me going to stuff myself on some CNY cookies I stowed away to my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment