Sunday 25 October 2009

Firing up the .. pan?


So in an effort to save money, I've been cooking dinners myself. I mean, why waste a perfectly good kitchen and fridge right? Well, actually not that that perfect. The kitchen is really tiny and lacking what to constitutes to me as essentials - a wok, rice cooker, and a chopping board. Ok ok, so perhaps the hostel wasn't build for an Asian style cooking.

Anyway, so I made fried rice the other day. And trust me, it wasn't easy! I cook the rice the traditional way, ala boiling it in a pot. Turned out quite nicely too. And funny too, that rice is like how noodles and bread are to us - they are just a few of them stocked in 1kg packets at the supermarket, compared to whole array of pasta and bread.

And of course I had to improvise. I had to peel garlic (first time, admittedly) and chop it on plate! For vegetables, I took the easy option of frozen vegetables - but then the variety type here only has beans, carrot, and potato! Yikes, potato in fried rice?! No choice. For meat, I toss in a few handy slices of ham. Flavourings a bit difficult - I had to make do with pepper, soy sauce (which is called spicy sauce here, no idea why since it's completely NOT spicy), and egg.

The last obstacle is the frying part - no wok! So then the non-stick frying pan comes in. Not easy trying to do some 'gentle' rice-frying in the pan.

Well, here's the end result:



Objective rating: 6/10
Personal rating: Bumped up to 7/10 due to hunger and hard effort in making it. And felt damn proud too!


10 comments:

  1. 11.18 am in malaysia now, havent have my lunch yet.

    one word for the fried rice. cantik.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw... nanti balik you masak for us k. minus the unhalal stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. *clap*clap*clap* Normally I'd just fry egg and tomato with rice. Then sometimes change rice to cooked oat for fiber. But, really, *clap*clap*clap* :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, can't believe this post can get up to 4 comments! From first-time visitors some more!

    Ted: Thanks! It wasn't gloriously delicious, but taste ok.

    Sek Kuan: Lol, you think so? Thanks! I thought it looked a bit messy.

    Fea: Lol! Don't think you'll like it. It's a bit blander and this way is my mom punya old quick-cut method. And what makes you think it's not halal? :P

    Gine: Thanks! I do wonder how do rice and egg and tomato go together... hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. or you can separate the fried egg with tomato from the plain rice. I don't know about you (who basically dislikes 90% of the vege ;p), I like tomatoes and the sourness. Just add a little salt and pepper for the egg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahahahaha...Give you 10/10 for semangat 'Malaysia Boleh!' Looks delish too...the fried rice... Now i'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cook for us and bring to lab later, ya, hahahaha. Minus the ham coz it's the not halal stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gine: My dislike for vegetables is greatly exaggerated, as said by someone who has *weird* taste choices.. :P

    Au Yong: Thanks!

    L'Homme: Erm, thanks. But it's not that big a deal, really..

    Me Roar: Lab? Hmm. so who's the real you that's stalking CGAT daily? :P And real smart of you to figure out the ham is not halal. I always get confused between ham and bacon (which meat they're made from). And sausages too, cos in Malaysia they're made from chicken.

    ReplyDelete