Saturday 4 August 2007

I've already started working bout 3 weeks ago as a research assistant in my uni. It's going well, and it's kinda like studying but getting paid for it. I carry out labwork and look up informations and articles. So far I've managed to kinda pick up the pace and learned more about molecular techniques and protocols, especially on RNA extraction. And I've also gotten my first paycheck for this job a few days ago. Not that much, but will have to suffice for now. And I've also moved back to my college. I got a nice little room for two, just that nobody has apparently moved in yet. Which suits me just fine. So for now I've a kinda large comfy room with an unused bed and wardrobe on one side.

And well, my convo's due soon - 15th August to be exact. Anyone who has nothing better to do than than facing impending rush-hour traffic at 5 pm, struggling to find a empty parking lot amidst the flood of cars, and brave hundreds of ecstatic, sweating-profusely-graduates in multi-coloured robes is hereby welcomed to drop by and erm, congratulate me...? Anyway...yeah, friends old and new, acquaintances and friendly primates are all invited to come for my convocation.

I just took my convo robe this morning. It's all... Well my uni has a colour-coding system where there's a different colour for each faculty's graduation robes. My faculty, well has chosen the colour reminiscent of an (annoying) triassic host of a popular children's tv programme. Ok, I'm rambling. My point is, the whole thing doesn't feel all...big to me. I know it's always pictured in countless shows how when you stand there on stage in your graduation robe and crown, it's like the pinnacle event of your life with your parents/grand-auntie/neighbour's dog wiping away tears of joy etc.

For me though, it seemed just like another step in life. Not a passing chapter/stage in life, but just a step. The thing is, I don't feel as if this is the cumulation of all the blood, sweat and tears for the past 3 years. Sure there had been crazy deadlines on lab reports and thesis work that ate up the wee hours of morning, but I don't really feel that it's an entirely painstaking torturous path that finally led up to this 'grand' day. More like a continual road that one walks as part of one's journey in life.

Also, it just kinda hit me , again, how we've also moved on. I went out with some secondary friends a while ago (where I was suckered into chipping in for a birthday gift which up till now I've no idea what it is, but that's beside the point), and we were talking about work. Yeah, no longer are we talking bout our boring lectures, assignments etc, but work - the things we do, the irritating supervisor, the gossipy colleagues, the pay *shudders* and getting a car etc. It just kinda feels surreal, ya' know? Like when did we move on from being kids to working adults? When was it at that split second where we grew another brain, discarded our carefree childish ways to move on to working and *gulp*, starting a family? Especially when I just heard that a certain someone not that many years older that me might be getting married soon... Yikes! Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him if it comes true, but it really wreaks havoc with my little personal biological clock.

Well, starting a family is something which erm still gets me the cold feet sensation every time... How do I know if I'm ready? Will I ever be ready? Right now, it's something way over the horizon for me. I kinda like and am comfortable with what I'm doing right now, so I'll stick with it and be blissfully ignorant for now. And yeah, another friend of mine recently applied and got in as a health reporter for the Star. How cool is that?? It proves that idealism and courage among the youths in this country still exists, despite how our elders and Big Brother try to stifle. I too, hope that I'll be one of them - ready to take up a different path, a road less travelled.


3 comments:

  1. Hey there =)
    my sentiments precisely... And your triassic jubah is no contest for my pink panther/powerpuff girl suit.

    yeah, discussion about work sure is the topic now, and sooner or later you'll be sitting in a posh hotel "yum-seng"ing to some bloke's happily-ever-after and attending someone's 1st birthday. Hopefully by then you may surface from the blissfully ignorant to the blissfully berumahtangga, coz your relatives will repeatedly shock you with the million-dollar-question: "when's your time ah?"

    ^.^ On that account, i'm not sure i'll ever want to surface from ignorance... its too much bliss! haha. All the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. after reading wey wen's comment, this idea hit me instantly..

    "if fea and jun hoe were married..."

    grinning away :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe, everyone in FST look like Barney during convo...
    hehehe
    cute rite?!

    ReplyDelete