Tuesday 19 June 2007

Song: Do You Know (The Ping-Pong Song) - Enrique Iglesias

So I've finally made my decision - I turned down HSBC's offer. Actually that was my 2nd final decision. At first I was thinking of taking up the MDP programme by HSBC by two months (July & August) before quitting and jumping back to RA in my uni. Two months - not too long as too push my original plans too much and avoid myself being sucked too deeply into the corporate world; and not too short for me to get a glimpse of a professional working environment.

HSBC even said yes when I asked if I could take a the first week of July off to debate in Australs. So technically the idea sounds cool. Until I realised that even if I can take one week off, I'll be too busy working to go for any training or preparing for the tournament. And pushing it to another friend who before this declined to go for Australs due to personal commitments made me feel terribly bad.

Which led me to make my 2nd final decision - turn down the HSBC's offer completely. And after coming to that decision, I felt very much at ease. I guess as much as I try to tell myself that consideration of other people don't matter, it does. Yeah, everyone tells me that it's my decision to make, it's my future, don't let other things affectt your decisions etc. Yeah, I know. But if I do take 2 months off, I'll be inconviencing my lecturer (who's already ordered the chemicals and prepared stuff for me), my accomodations which I managed to luckily secure back at my college, my friend, and well, myself.

All for me to just experience what's it like to step into the glitzy corporate world. I guess deep down, I was a bit tired of being made fun of ("So are you gonna work in a zoo now?") and wanted to well, live up a bit to the barometer of respect dictated by society. To put on a crisp shirt with a tie and step into the hectic world phones ringing, currencies being transferred and traded, and handling important-looking documents. To plaster on smile and mingle with the rich and famous, laughing politely while sipping champagne at a fancy cocktail party. But no, I can't do it by inconveniencing so many people just so I can play 'working professional"'for two months.

When I first applied to HSBC for the heck of it, my thought was to see whether I can be accepted into the corporate world, if I choose to do so. Whether I'm able to break free from the confines of my degree and if I possess skills that would enable me to go further. And in that aspect, I think I succeeded. So that should be good enough for me; at least now I know if 10 years down the road if I'm languishing somewhere in a lab with my research funding cut off, I can jump to the corporate world if I choose to. Worse comes to worst, I'll just reapply to the MDP programme again. So when I actually got accepted, it suddenly became real - the temptation of a 'stable, regular job'. And it put me in a dilemma.

I think most people who know me would say that I'm quite blunt and emotionless. That I'm more of a logical and realist. But when it comes to making big decisions in my life, somehow I tend to follow my heart than my head.

4 comments:

  1. sometimes it's not because you're capable in a job then only you take it. even if you have no difficulty in doing something doesn't mean you WANT to do it for the coming 10, 20 years. when the only reason is for the sake of money, working is more to hell (yes, it's a strong word, but i really mean it) than to "comfortable" life.

    some people have no choice, they have to work like this. but you have a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support ur decision man. take some time first. I also at ur stage few weeks ago. Now I'm taking my time to consider properly. Remember this. It's u who will wake up early in the morning to go to work. Make sure u r happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you will know what is best for you. :) Following your brain can lead you to the right places, but only your heart can lead you to where you want to be, where happiness is :).

    Hmm... too philosophical? U know, dun think about it too much :). If i can, i'll be alice in the wonderland... every road can lead you to different places... we will never know where we will end up :) That's the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, I support ur decision. don't always work for money. work for experience and knowledge coz it will bring you further.

    ReplyDelete