Sunday 23 March 2008

Just woke up bout an hour ago, completely exhausted. This has been a long and somewhat unanticipated type of weekend. I was quite gung ho bout using this weekend to work on my attachment proposal, manuscript and put in some extra lab hours, since I got some pretty good results on Friday. Let's rewind...

So I was sitting there as prettily as can be just doing work in the lab when a friend suggested we meet up in SS2 for the night. So I thought *fine*, since I have a whole day tomorrow to catch up on work. Unfortunately, as I was driving by on the right lane on the stretch of road of Jalan Universiti (I think)-SS2 which is really dark, and I went over a really, really deep pothole. Like seriously, and I was like *oh shit*. I could hear the sound of something sliding off below my car and next thing I know, there is a loud rattling sound as I continued driving. Immediately I pulled by the road side and checked briefly. The tires looked fine, and well it's not like I can slide in under my car to take a look.

So I took a deep breath and considered my options - get the car fixed right now or continue driving. Option 1 is a little hard as I'm not sure where is the nearest workshop, and whether it's still open at this hour. So hoping for the best and crossing my fingers, I chose option 2. So then I drove a little bit further, albeit very slowly and the rattling sound getting extremely with any speed increases, I reached SS2. And as I parked my car, I realised the reverse gear wasn't working too well; I need to step on the gas to get the car to move in reverse. Anyway I met with my friend and asked if he could put me up for the night and and then next morning I could find a workshop. Thankfully he was totally cool about it. And me being me, I could only snatched a few hours of sleep before giving up and surfing aimlessly online.

Which led to some workshop-hunting this morning. The ones we saw at SS2 weren't open, and then my friend suggested one near KDU which luckily was open. All the while I was really worried about the cost of repairs, me imagining the gear box/clutch/what-nots thingamajic being severely damaged. Turns out that the suspension, car chamber etc was damaged...and it cost around RM250. Well, I guess (sorta thankfully) that it's not a huge amount, but it's still a dent in my pocket. And one of the tyre rim was also damaged and needs to be fixed, or worse, replaced, and that cost is still not known.

Sigh...as if I'm not broke enough already with getting a new monitor. And here I was so glad that this month I was running on healthy surplus and meeting my budget.



3 comments:

  1. A car is a humongous liability, bro... but you don't have to have me telling you that.

    Anyway, I wish you recoup that loss with some groundbreaking research in your field :).

    cheers! ww

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, having a car is a huge liability. Not only have to pay the installment but have to consider the just in case event like broke down & petrol price increase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's ok already considering you damage the gearbox. the price is quite cheap .

    ReplyDelete