Thursday 17 April 2008

He's not just incompetent, he's...

Disclaimer: Semi-long, not very bitchy post ahead

Finally, on the advice of many and not able to stand it anymore, last weekI told X directly that he needs to do his part around the lab too - "After you finish your work, please fill up the empty tips boxes." "See that bottle of PCR tubes running out? Here's what we do to refill them." Etc etc.

Some people to whom I bitch about X would like to point out that perhaps its cultural differences. Look, I'm also one for benefit of the doubt, but I believe 'cultural differences' can only be excused to a certain extent when it comes to his incompetencies and err.. I have no words for this. Consider this *little* incident this morning.

***

X: The eppendorf (1.5 ml) tubes are finished. *grabs a nearby beaker of those tubes* Can I use these?

Me: No. See the tape here? *points at the tape on the beaker* This is packed by Ros. It's not packed by me, S (my labmate), or you. So you can't use them.

X: But no more tubes.

Me. Yes...Which is why we refill and make new bottles of tubes.

X. Yes, yes. I made new bottle last week (Actually it's we, when I was showing him where the bag of tubes are and how to do the refilling).

Me. Right.. *speaking slowly and deliberately* And then we (I) autoclave them, and autoclaved things go to the...?

(Autoclaving is a sterilising process of heating at 121 C for 15 minutes, and since it's with water, the things mostly end up wet. And then they need to be dried in the oven)

X: To the oven.

Me: Right... So go check the oven.

X: But I checked oven. Not found.

Me. *getting annoyed* Really?

(Now I know for sure that it's in the oven, since after autoclaving I put it in the oven together with other things last Friday after autoclaving. While he as usual just deigns to drop by the lab just to do his work only, period, and left almost immediately after that. And these past days I haven't been around the lab much since I'm almost done with labwork and moving on more to computer analyses, so I haven't really helped out around the lab much.)

Me: Let's go check the oven now. *takes a pair of gloves*

X: *following me* I checked oven every day. Not found.

Me: Mm-hmm. *straps on gloves a little impatiently in front of the oven*

(I was still strapping on the gloves, perhaps a little angrily. X opened the oven, and then thinks to start shifting the large bottles in the front . And finally, he pulled out a large bottle of tubes).

X: Ah. Our bottle of tubes *showing me the bottle with his name on it*

Me: Mm-hmm *I'm not the one with an eyesight problem and lack of common sense. Why show me the bottle?*

X. I check every day. Not found before.

Me. Yeah... *rolls eye. Seriously, who're you trying to kid here?*


***

And this other incident last week...

Me: If you're free now go check the oven and see if there's anything there that's dry; and take them out.

X: Ok. *comes back a few moments later empty-handed*

Me: *suspiciously* Did you check the oven?

X: Yes, yes. Nothing dried yet.

Me: Really? Hmm *very suspicious*

(Since I put in several things the day before, and there should be some things that have dried. I finished my work about 10 minutes later and went to check the oven. In the front, several large bottles were still wet. I moved them aside, and checked the smaller bottles behind them - some of them are dried. Then I checked the top shelf/compartment - all the pipette tips boxes were dried. In the end I had two basketful of items, which I promptly marched right up to X.)

Me: *holds up the two baskets* These things are all dried in the oven.

X: Oh... I saw the big bottles; still wet.

Me. Aha...*rolls eyes*

***

By the way, I just found out that his degree was in veterinary science, and so was his Masters. And I'd appreciate if anyone can point me towards any cheap, over-the-counter high-blood pressure medication.


2 comments:

  1. Vet-Sc degrees oso have lab work wat.. especially if he majored in molecular... how can he not have some common sense in a molecular lab?!

    deng~~~

    there is not OTC for High BP unfortunately.. try meditation instead.. hehhehe...

    some ppl r lazy.. just put it dat way laa hor.. hehehhee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I also feel like having hypertention just by reading this post. Sabar aje la *pat*pat*pat*

    All the best for the coming days in labs =)

    ReplyDelete