Sunday 13 April 2008

I'm not one for throwing up a big fuss about my birthday. Yeah, it's a special day for me - one which I do look forward to with just the slightest hint of excitement, but not one which I planned out an elaborate 24 hours non-stop party. But I've to admit, I was slightly disappointed this time around.

The day before I decided to take half a day off to just chill a bit and get some items. I got down to Midvalley in the afternoon and caught The Spiderwick Chronicles, which was actually rather good. Hmm, the crop of fantasy movies these days seemed to have really improved, focusing more on coherent and well-developed storyline and characters rather than just CGI wizardry. I also got One Republic's album, Dreaming Out Loud, which is quite... unique. In the sense that I've never bought an album of this sorta genre before. It sounded quite good, and they remind me of a slightly more mature and pleasant-sounding version of All-American Rejects, where its lead singers high-pitch singing is a lil' grating for me. Then I also received a call from an old F6 friend who asked me for dinner the next day, which I agreed to.

I woke up that day with a sore throat and feeling a slight flu coming up - not a good sign. So I quickly took up some Strepsils, and got to work. I also decided to postpone dinner with my friend for today as it'll be quite tiring for me to travel back and forth from KL. Later during lunch, I went out for McD's with my colleagues, where they kindly got me a slice of cake. Later in the evening, my colleagues and I went to visit another colleague who had just given birth a few weeks ago. We left rather late, and I was quite tired. So I just got a quick dinner and went to bed early.

Sure I got some well-wishes from friends and acquaintances, not to mention a great postponed-dinner at Pizza Hut with a cake and presents to boot! Which I'm really grateful and appreciative of. But I'm just a little disappointed that I didn't hear even a peep from some of my closest and oldest friends. Perhaps it'd just slipped their mind. Not that I'm taking it as a point-blank sign to sever all friendships, but it does get me down a little.

This weekend I came back, hoping to go out with some friends. Unfortunately, things on the social front was a little quiet. I then tried to find someone for lunch, and even that was almost unsuccessful. Remember how I said the littlest things then to get to you. I was really feeling quite sad and... lonely. Thank god I eventually found someone for lunch; and it was really much more enjoyable than I expected.

Sigh... I need more friends.

5 comments:

  1. hi... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sorry I'm late, but I wouldn't have been one of those old, close friends you may have wanted to hear that from.

    Anyway, if I am (which I really doubt I was), really sorry about forgetting the special day. And I would have felt like hitting a lot of people for not sending me SMS on my birthday.

    Totally understand you there, mate. It will really make my day if someone from my distant past pops up and says, "hi!" even if it is not my birthday.

    Then again, I could have forgotten my own birthday if it happened lately... All I can think about is the three Ws. work, weary and worn.

    I'm writing this from the office... so, i became no-name. hahaha...

    wen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gomenasai!
    Dude, I'm really sorry I terforgot your day.
    Been relying way too much on FB to tell me when bdays are coming up.

    So...Happy Belated Birthday!

    I'll make it up to you end of the year k? Promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wen: Thanks. You're right, it really does make my day too to hear from an old friend. And all the best with work yeah! It must be hectic like hell; though I'm sure you're getting used to it.

    Ken: It's ok; you're not the only one. I mean there were a couple of others. It's ok; right now looking back it was not a big deal. And so it seems you're coming back again end of this year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha... it comes and goes. we get our peak season and not-so-peak season. so, yeah, that makes it manageable.

    Anyway, all the best to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can all brush aside things that have slighted us on hindsight but the fact is, I'm sure most of us would really love to hear from those that we know, especially on our own days. It means that that person was thinking of you and that makes a world of a difference.

    And yes! I cannot survive without going back home at least once a year. I need the food and company :)
    Not to mention something big that's gonna happen as well.

    ReplyDelete