Sunday 10 June 2007

Decisions

Song: Big Girls Don't Cry - Fergie

Last Friday, I went out dinner with some old Form 6 friends. It felt really good to see everyone again, and I had a great time and the food was pretty decent too. Anyway, we got to talking and again I was hit by the realisation that we've reached a new different stage of life. Most of us have already finished our studies, a couple of them are working, and one of them has just paid the downpayment for a new car.

Am I really ready for this? To move on to the next stage of my life whereby I really take charge to forge my future. All along I've usually just made my decisions as it were and just accepted with little regrets. Sure I do contemplate some what-ifs once in a while. Like what if I've applied and gotten a JPA scholarship? What if I've chosen to study a different field like medicine/law/language/journalism? But then I don't let them get to me as I realised the things I have right now that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

And during that dinner too I got a call from the dude at HSBC. Actually, the previous day I went to HSBC building in Kuala Lumpur for a half-day assessment which was quite challenging - we had to read a case study, do presentation, negotiate with another person in a meeting, and conduct a group discussion. All the while being supervised by 3 senior managers! It was quite nerve-wrecking but a good experience nonetheless. Anyway, the HSBC dude told me that well, I've been accepted.

Which kinda puts me in a dilemma now. I wasn't really keen in the first place, and I've kinda decided to follow up with my RA stint and post-grad studies. But now that I've actually gotten accepted, well the offer is really quite good. And it would be interesting to try working in a professional competitive environment. But once I joined in, most likely I'll continue and then I'll end up in a corporate path. (Presumably) leading a comfortable life, get a nice house and then once in a while do my bit for charity...

Which will be a total waste then of what I studied for my degree and the principal reason why I picked it in the first place. How I wanted to actively contribute to the environment, and doing a job that would at least indirectly bring about betterment for the environment and society.

Right now I'm leaning more towards my original plan of RA-ing and then study. The HSCS offer is a tempting one, so yeah...

1 comment:

  1. Hi jun hoe... congratulations :). Seems like you don't have to worry about not having a job. Its just a matter of what you wanted. That's good ^^.

    Its better to further your study straight away, coz later down the road you have to think about other things: support your parents, maybe support your girlfriend or family etc haha. For us girls they will add take care of the kids as well.

    So yeah, i'm also planning to further, but still in preparation. Its all subject to change... depends on how my job is now.

    I wish you all the best in ur RA-ing. gambateh!

    ReplyDelete