Sunday 11 November 2007

*Dusts off cobwebs from blog* With that out of the way, here's a short update to show I'm still alive and doing (relatively) well.

Generally, I'm not one who's big on shopping for clothes. I only shop when I need to. Which is mostly the customary one before CNY, and when there's something I need but don't have. And maybe also when there's a sale and I happen to find something I kinda like. But rarely do I actively go shopping.

Succumbing into the societal lure of consumerism and superficiality, I did a little shopping two weeks ago. And I had a friend along with me who doubled as my very own assistant shopper; which was really helpful as I wasn't exactly a favoured of the gods of the fashion pantheon. I got myself a nice semi-checkered brown shirt and a pair of cool Nike walking shoes. This was followed by a push from my said friend to take a step up the social ladder. It wasn't completely unnerving and different than variations of what I've done before, though I do appreciate the effort and sentiment.

And well, that little bit of shopping was the most so far I've spend on a single day for clothes. And now I'm kinda slightly broke and regretful. Ah... the sacrifices we make to look good (or at least trying to). I'm sure all my shopaholic/bimboish/gal-friends are rolling their eyes right now; about time I joined them and fully embrace the glory of malls with their flashy boutiques and what-nots.

Right now, I'm kinda working on a proposal presentation on my research project in preparation for a meeting with some overseas lecturer that will be coming soon. My supervisor's intention is to push me to get a sorta collaboration or co-supervision or twinning programme with them. In the meantime too, I'm still sorting out the whole quagmire of studying overseas, though the maze of application requirements, procedures, funding etc etc. Sigh..nothing is easy in life. But if I want to make something of it, I'll have to work at it.

p/s: In case you were trapped in a bomb shelter last weekend, please click here and here to find out about the biggest thing that happened in our sunny land since maggi goreng mamak.

2 comments:

  1. "This is democracy...Malaysian style" *scene of riot police blasting water at 'protestors'*

    OMG, that was so funny!
    Unfortunate yes, but funny.

    And yes, I haven't seen it till now but I do know of the peaceful protest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it doesn't take a bomb shelter to shield us in Boleh Land from the cruel world of politics.

    =) was out of town so missed all the fun!

    and.. wish you luck in your overseas stint :)

    ReplyDelete